Beacon Emergency Relief Service provides assistance to members of the community who are struggling to make ends meet.
This community ministry is supported by local churches through the Mitcham Hills Inter-Church Council (MHICC), of which we are a partner church, and also through several local businesses, including:
See the links for further information.
This Resource Page is for all who are doing some filming from home for our online ministry. Your contribution really helps to build community at a time when we can’t physically get together - thank you.
Update (May 2020) - In this period of change brought about by COVID-19, files (incl. videos) for upcoming online worship services can be uploaded to our Google Drive using [this form](https://script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbygnrE6e0nSAZAFosymkBryoNcwqIe_ePnrESd3BhnG2imsMbs/exec). (This only currently works when accessed via the website, not the app.)
The linked 1-page document (written by Simon and David) and 10-min video (downloaded from open.life.church) will give a few tips to make the process easy not only for you but for those who may need to edit it. Upload all files for a given Sunday worship service [here](https://script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbygnrE6e0nSAZAFosymkBryoNcwqIe_ePnrESd3BhnG2imsMbs/exec).
The video is well worth a watch for anyone filming yourself by yourself with just a phone - it's made by a filmmaker and is packed with tips and examples, including if you're shooting for kids (from 1:50), and is all shot on a phone with simple at-home props. The blurb reads:
How do you shoot great videos without a camera crew? On your phone? In your home? Sounds like the ultimate challenge, but this fun, engaging video with filmmaker Jesse Doland will show you how.
This page seeks to resource our Life Group Leaders and contains the handouts and further information from our Training Sessions. These are listed below:
- Nov 2019 - [The Purpose of Life Groups and How to Lead a Bible study](https://www.corouniting.org/d/H4spiDXGwKHnaX7krPYNNi8jh) (with [Uncover bookmark](https://www.corouniting.org/d/kwRTI0Z2sZ95uykmfKJpBCqnP) and [One-to-one Bible Reading (COMA) resource](https://www.corouniting.org/d/Vy3by05PCUWLj2FzORUSsYJCg))
- Mar 2020 - [Encouraging individuals to grow through Life Groups](https://www.corouniting.org/d/b2fTrkBm9UfpSOQ3Q9hbXnCPz)
- Mar 2020 - [Zoom for Life Groups](https://www.corouniting.org/d/0Ov7Pm2hNgAvtmcWdlnxMwrnU)
- Apr 2020 - [Pastoral Care for Life Groups, anytime and during COVID-19 restrictions](https://www.corouniting.org/d/GY68H0RdAoZIsj1MUlZaBY9s7)
- May 2020 - Engaging with Scripture online
- May 2020 - Encouraging our Groups in Evangelism and Mission Support
- Jun 2020 - Encouraging our Groups in Seeking Justice
We will be updating this page as further training is provided. Contact [Cat Patrick](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Update (April 2020) - In this period of change brought about by COVID-19, all our Life Groups are meeting online. Refer to the linked [Zoom for Life Groups](https://www.corouniting.org/d/0Ov7Pm2hNgAvtmcWdlnxMwrnU) resource for further information. Zoom has also created a ['How to Zoom' YouTube playlist](https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKpRxBfeD1kEM_I1lId3N_Xl77fKDzSXe) and Margaret Strickland's husband, Alan, has also put together a comprehensive document [Using Zoom for Online Meetings](https://www.corouniting.org/d/yQmApgkLL7vyUfstIoKBWfSYB) that may be of additional help.
Throughout 2019 a number of us read the Bible together as a part of our desire to be a people focused on Jesus. This was a part of a three year Bible Reading Plan and 2020 will be year 2. It has been really helpful and fun for those of us who followed this in 2019. We encourage everyone, even if you missed out last year, to join with us this year and be encouraged as we encounter God through the Bible readings each week.
We've got a few options on how you can join us below. Developing a Bible reading habit can be challenging so let’s do it together. By doing so, not only will you read the Bible (either by yourself or in groups) but you have the opportunity to share with others the insights you are gaining from the readings and be encouraged to keep going.
We are following Tim Chester’s 3-year Bible Reading Plan which will take us through the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice (see the back of this flyer). It’s in weekly chunks so there is no pressure if you happen to miss a day. It’s flexible and manageable.
There are a range of ways you could join us:
- Read the set readings on your own and prayerfully journal your thoughts.
- Read the readings, journal your thoughts and have a weekly catch up with two others (a reflection triplet) in person over a cuppa or over the phone or skype. Sign up on the church website/app or [email the Church Office](mailto:%email@example.com).
- Join the WhatsApp group by texting Cat Patrick on 0425 752 140 and share your thoughts with a group of us.
- Get your Life Group involved and use the readings as the basis of your sharing each week.
- Join Simon 9am Saturdays from 1 February in the chapel for shared reading.
[See here for the 2019 reading list](https://www.corouniting.org/news/2019-bible-reading-plan)